Krimes Debit Card Settlement

If You Paid Fees on Your U.S. Debit Card Issued by JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A.,
You May Be Eligible for a Payment from a Class Action Settlement.


A Settlement has been reached in a class action lawsuit about a debit card program operated by JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. (“Chase”) for inmates released from correctional facilities of the federal Bureau of Prisons (“BOP”). Under the program, inmates released since May 2012 have received the funds in their inmate trust accounts at the time of release on debit cards issued by Chase (“BOP Debit Cards”). The lawsuit, Krimes v. JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A., is pending in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania. The lawsuit challenges the placement of inmates’ funds on the BOP Debit Cards, the fees Chase charged for use of the cards, and the disclosures Chase provided in connection with the cards. Chase denies any liability or wrongdoing. However, to settle the case and avoid the costs and risks of litigation, Chase has agreed to a settlement.

You are a member of the Settlement Class, and you may be eligible for a payment under the Settlement, if you reside in the United States and received a BOP Debit Card issued by Chase when you were released from a federal correctional facility before October 26, 2016.

If you are a member of the Settlement Class, you may receive your Settlement Payment by automatic deposit to your BOP Debit Card account or by check, depending on whether you are an Active Cardholder or an Inactive Cardholder (as defined immediately below).

Active Cardholders: You are an Active Cardholder if your BOP Debit Card account remains open and able to receive funds and does not have a negative balance. If you are an Active Cardholder, and you do not exclude yourself from this Settlement, you will receive your Settlement Payment automatically as a deposit on your BOP Debit Card. If you prefer to receive your Settlement Payment instead by check or a free replacement BOP Debit Card, you may file a Claim indicating that preference. If you submit a Claim requesting your Settlement Payment by check, you may also request that the check include the full remaining balance on your BOP Debit Card.

Inactive Cardholders: You are an Inactive Cardholder if you are not an Active Cardholder. If you are an Inactive Cardholder, you may seek a Settlement Payment, plus any remaining balance on your BOP Debit Card, by submitting a Claim. Inactive Cardholders will receive their Settlement Payments by check.

Click here to file a claim online, or click here to download a copy of the Claim Form.

Please read the Notice for additional information about this settlement.


Or call the Settlement Administrator at 1-888-280-6496 with any questions.

Important Deadlines:

Objection Deadline:


Opt-Out Deadline:


Claim Filing Deadline:


Final Approval Hearing: